Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hyponatremia

Hyponatremia occurs when one has abnormally low amount of sodium in the body (or excess water in blood), new important term that I've learnt this week.

It all begins with my sister's text message a few days ago telling me that our dad is in ICU (Intensive Care Unit). I was shocked, panic and don't know what to do. My dad has always been healthy and we had video stream just last weekend but all of a sudden he's in ICU? I'm not prepare for any of this and I actually felt slightly helpless. Heart aches (for not being able to be there) and cold fingers, praying hard nothing bad happens.

I felt the sudden fear of losing one of my parents, never was the threat feel so close & real. Even if I purchase ticket instantaneously the next day & fly home, it'll take me another day before reaching home. At this point, I can only make phone calls home & rely on my sister's emails and text messages to keep my updated with the situation.

Apparently my dad has been vomiting for 3 days and did not get better after consulting doctor twice. He stopped eating / drinking (even just water) on the last day and looked absolutely pale when a family friend visits. He was took to the hospital & upon arrival, fell unconscious. What follows were a string of checking, blood test & hospital transfer to perform MRI scan, having the fear that he might suffer stroke.

My mother has been brave through all these, she called my sister home and stayed with my dad as long as she can before being chased out by the nurse from ICU. He's diagnose with low blood sodium (about 110uM), was unconscious for a day and can finally manage to open his eyes on the second day. After 3 days, he's finally being released from ICU into normal ward now and luckily, didn't suffer any stroke.

I truthfully thank those who have helped in the process and pray that he can be discharged soon & come back to normal again. Why is there no Doraemon door where I can just open & go home? Dad, wait for me, I'll be back in November, make sure you're healthy & smiling then. Maybe I should try to talk to my boss to send me back on business trip? hmm...

No comments: